Applies to:Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Workstations MP4
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 SOS MP4
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Servers MP4
After installing Kaspersky Lab software there might occur situations when your operating system is unstable. For example, messages about operating system errors displayed at system start-up or when you start a task. In this case it is highly probable that the application is conflicting with some other software installed on your PC or with hardware drivers.
When you address the Kaspersky Lab Technical support service with this situation, you may be asked to generate a traces file via graphical interface of the Kaspersky Lab application you have installed.
It has become possible in Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 6.0 MP4 to enable/disable generation of traces files from application GUI.
In order to generate a traces file, do the following:
Make sure to use an administrator user account.
- Open Kaspersky Anti-Virus;
- Click on the Support link in the left bottom part of the application window;
- Click on the Traces link in the left bottom part of the Support window;
- Use the drop-down menu Level to choose the desired tracing level. Unless advised otherwise by a Technical support specialist, set the tracing level to 500.
- Click Enable > OK to start generating a trace file.
- Reproduce the problem.
Click Disable > OK to stop generating the trace file.
Do not forget to DISABLE tracing after you have got the necessary report! If you leave the tracing enabled, the reports folder size may reach several GB depending on how much disk space you have available.
You can find the generated traces files in the next folder:
- Windows Vista / 7 / 2008: Disc:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\
- Windows XP/2003: Disc:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\
- Windows 2000: Disc:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\
The traces files are generated in a text format and have unique names: [Software version]_[Date of creation]_[Time of creation - GMT].
It is necessary to enable the option show hidden files and folders to be able to access the trace files.
In order to delete traces files you need to exit Kaspersky Anti-Virus:
- right-click on the Kaspersky Anti-Virus icon in the lower right corner of the screen (in the system tray);
- click Exit;
- delete traces files from the folder;
- start Kaspersky Anti-Virus: Start > All Programs > Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations/SOS/Windows Servers MP4.