Applies to Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011
Vulnerability scan is a special tool which helps to search and eliminate security vulnerabilities of applications, installed on your computer, and in operating system settings.
All the problems detected at the system analysis stage will be grouped based on the degree of danger it poses. Kaspersky Lab specialists offer a set of actions for each group of problems which help to eliminate vulnerabilities and weak points in the system's settings.
There are three groups of problems distinguished, and, respectively, three groups of actions associated with them:
- Strongly recommended actions will help eliminate problems posing a serious security threat. You are advised to perform all actions of this group.
- Recommended actions help eliminate problems posing a potential threat. You are advised to perform all actions of this group too.
- Additional actions help repair system damages which do not pose a current threat but may threat the computer's security in the future.
The vulnerability scan task can be started in the following ways:
- from the main application window
- using a created shortcut
How to run Vulnerability Scan task via the main application window?
In order to start the vulnerability scan task from the Vulnerability scan window, perform the following actions:
- open the main application window
- in the left part of the main application window, go to the Tools tab
- in the right part of the main application window, click the Vulnerability Scan button
- in the lower part of the Vulnerability Scan window, click the Start button
How to create Vulnerability Scan shortcut?
In order to create a shortcut to launch the Vulnerability Scan task, perform the following actions:
- open the main application window
- in the left part of the main application window, go to the Scan tab
- in the right upper corner of the main application window, click the Settings link
- in the left part of the Settings link, select the General Settings item
- in the right part of the Settings window in the Scan tasks quick run section, click the Create shortcut button next to Vulnerability Scan
- by default, the shortcut will be created on the Desktop. You can select the required folder to create the shortcut manually
- click the Save button in the Save as window
- click the OK button in the Settings window
- close the main application window.
The Vulnerability Scan icon will appear in the specified folder.
How to start Vulnerability Scan task using shortcut?
The Vulnerability Scan task can be also started using the created shortcut.
In order to do it, you need just double-click on the Vulnerability Scan shortcut. The task performing process will be shown in the Vulnerability Scan window that will open and in the main application window.
How to eliminate vulnerabilities?
The scan results will be displayed in the Vulnerability Scan window in two tabs:
- System vulnerabilities
- Vulnerable applications
In order to eliminate the system vulnerability, select the item and click the Fix it button.
In the Vulnerable applications tab there are two variants to choose if you select an object:
- you can read the vulnerability description by clicking Details
- you can create an exclusion rule for the selected vulnerability by clicking Add to exclusions
In the Vulnerability Scan window, besides the Start button, the information about when the scan task was stopped or completed is displayed. The time is also the link to open the detailed report.
In the detailed report you can find information about start, stop or completion of the Vulnerability Scan task and the list of vulnerable objects with the link to open the description for them.