On June 8, 2010 Kaspersky Lab announces commercial release of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. The full version number is 184.108.40.206.
The concept of your computer protection by Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 protects your computer against known and unknown threats, network and intruder attacks, spam and other unwanted data. Each type of threat is processed by a separate application component. This structure of the protection system allows a flexible configuration of the application, depending on the needs of any specific, or of an enterprise as a whole.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 comprises the following protection tools:
- Protection components providing protection of:
- files and personal data;
- network activity.
- Virus scan tasks used to scan individual files, folders, drives, areas or the entire computer for viruses.
- Update ensuring the up-to-date status of the internal application modules, and the databases used to scan for malicious programs, and to detect network attacks and spam messages.
- Wizards and tools facilitating the execution of tasks occurring during the operation of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.
- Support features that provide information support for working with the program and expanding its capabilities.
What’s new in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011?
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 is a comprehensive data protection tool. The application provides protection against viruses and malware, unknown threats and Internet fraud. The multifaceted protection covers all channels of data transfer and exchange. Flexible configuration of each protection component allows adapting Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 to the needs of any individual user.
New in portection:
- Installation on an infected computer. Sometimes a computer can be infected to such a degree that installing an antivirus solution is impossible, e.g. infection by some types of rootkits. In such cases, Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 offers the user the option of downloading a dedicated utility that automatically scans the computer and neutralizes any threats.
- Removal of incompatible applications during installation. For Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 to run properly there should be no antivirus products and third-party firewalls installed . If these products are installed, there is no need to remove them manually because Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 lists all incompatible products and asks for the user’s permission to remove them.
- Product migration made easy. The range of functions available in the Kaspersky Lab 2011 version of the products is dependent upon on the type of license. To increase the number of product features, all the user has to do is to change their license, with no reinstallation required.
- New module Block dangerous websites. Block dangerous websites is designed to provide protection on the Internet by only allowing access to trusted resources. When this mode is used, IP addresses are assigned a trusted, suspicious or prohibited status depending on their rating. A trusted IP address, for example, is one that has a high hit rate and no malicious code.
- New modules of Web Anti-Virus. The Geo Filter feature provides the user with an option to block domains related to specific countries. The Online Banking module allows controlling requests to resources while working with Online Banking services.
- Proactive protection against phishing sites. The number of phishing sites is increasing rapidly. To ensure more effective protection against phishing, Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 proactively detects suspicious phishing sites and analyses information about each one (e.g. are there any tell-tale signs in the URL that are indicative of it being a phishing site). If such signs are detected, the site is flagged as a phishing site and access to it is blocked, even if it is not in a database of known phishing sites.
- Scanning of data transferred via FTP. As well as data sent via HTTP, Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 scans data transferred via FTP.
- Kaspersky gadget. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 incorporates the brand new Windows gadget feature. Kaspersky Gadget is an element of the interface located on the Windows Desktop that offers quick access to the product’s main features (available only on computers running under Windows Vista and Windows 7): computer protection status, files scan, access to the report about application's work.
- Improved compatibility with netbooks. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 is fully compatible with netbooks and supports the main screen resolutions used in netbooks (1024x600 and 1366x768). Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 has minimal impact on system performance.
- Significantly improved Parental Control. The Parental Control module is designed to restrict the use of the computer and the Internet by children. Using new Parental Control you can configure the following:
- restrict the amount of time that a computer is used;
- block or allow access to specific programs on the computer;
- block or allow access to specific websites; control a child‘s email, Instant Messaging (ICQ, MSN) and social networking activities;
- control the launch of games on the computer;
- control the downloading of files;
- control the transfer of personal data.
- The newly-implemented System Watcher technology in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 monitors all system events in full and provides additional information to other Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 components.
- Removing the effects of malware. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 allows the user to cancel all the actions which the suspect program managed to perform on the system in case if the program is recognized as malicious.
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 includes Safe Run for Applications. It allows all applications and websites to be launched automatically in Safe Run, as well as enabling the user to quickly and easily transfer any necessary files between the secure environment and the normal system.
- New mode Safe Run for Browsers. Safe Run for Browsers is designed for launching websites that require the user to enter their personal data (e.g. online banking resources). The mode can be used to create a secure channel for transactions that is protected from all external threats.
- Improved setting a program’s security rating internally. If the reputation services have no information about a program, various components of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 calculate the approximate level of threat it poses. The user can modify the rating that is assigned and decide the level of rights that the program is granted by the system.
- Improved Rootkit detection. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 includes anti-rootkit technology that employs low-level data reception methods which are immune to rootkit attacks.
- Using the product installation disk as a rescue disk. One of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 brand new features is its ability to use the product installation disk as a rescue disk (if purchased at a retail outlet).
- Copying a rescue disk to a USB flash drive. In Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 a rescue disk can be copied not only to a CD/DVD, but also to a USB flash drive. The user can choose whichever is the most convenient for them.
- Recording a rescue disk to a medium become easy. A user does not need to perform any additional actions.
- Launch of resource-intensive tasks during periods of user-inactivity. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 includes a new option Idle Scan, any resource-intensive tasks such as scanning of the system for malware or updating antivirus databases are launched by default at times when the computer is switched on but there is no user-activity.
What's new in the application interface:
- Notifications about product features. Notifications about product features that appear in the main window of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 allow the user to quickly learn more about the product and get the most from its features.
Main known issues:
When working in Safe Run
, the following issues may be encountered:
Folder attributes cannot be edited.
Switching from online banking websites to any other types of web resources is not controlled.
Some applications cannot be installed.
Safe Run can only be cleared if a certain amount of time passes after it is closed.
When using two monitors at the same time, the system may consume a significant amount of resources when running applications.
Problems may be encountered when the Anti-Spam
component handles ThunderBird 3.0
and Microsoft Outlook 2010
Information about the volume of traffic displayed in the Firewall
settings is not updated in real-time mode
. The user has to close and re-open the window in order to update the information.
Functionality of the System Watcher
component comes to nothing more than just analyzing file activity in the system. Registry, system and network activities are not analyzed at all.
Some mail formats may be processed improperly when scanned for viruses.
If the application is installed over a version, which is lower than 2010, the settings from the earlier version may be exported improperly.
If the user cancels the application removal procedure started before, the application may need to be restored
When working with Quarantine and Backup, the following issues may be encountered:
When restoring a file from Backup, its attributes are not saved.
When starting scan of an individual quarantined file from the context menu, all quarantined objects are scanned.
Changing the value of the "Maximum size of Backup" parameter or lifting restrictions imposed on it require the restart of the application.
When an event notification is sent by email, the addressee may receive two identical messages.
Virtual Keyboard does not support the Sogou Chinese language. When dragging Virtual Keyboard, its content is not displayed.
When the gadget is enabled, the user cannot manage Safe Run for Applications and view the news in News Agent.