Applies to Kaspersky PURE R2
Vulnerability scan is a special tool which helps to search and eliminate security vulnerabilities of applications, installed on your computer, and in operating system settings.
All the problems detected at the system analysis stage will be grouped based on the degree of danger it poses. Kaspersky Lab specialists offer a set of actions for each group of problems which help to eliminate vulnerabilities and weak points in the system's settings.
There are three groups of problems distinguished, and, respectively, three groups of actions associated with them:
- Strongly recommended actions will help eliminate problems posing a serious security threat. You are advised to perform all actions of this group.
- Recommended actions help eliminate problems posing a potential threat. You are advised to perform all actions of this group too.
- Additional actions help repair system damages which do not pose a current threat but may threat the computer's security in the future.
If after vulnerabilities elimination some problems appear (for example, online browsing problems), then in order to eliminate problems, you can roll back performed actions.
The vulnerability scan task can be started in the following ways:
- from the Vulnerability Scan window
- using a created shortcut
Starting Vulnerability Scan from the Computer Protection window
In order to start the vulnerability scan task from the Vulnerability scan window, perform the following actions:
- open the main application window
- click Computer Protection
- on the left hand part of the Computer Protection window, select Scan
- on the bottom right hand part of the window, click on the button Open Vulnerability Scan window
- to start the vulnerability scan task, click on the Start Vulnerability Scan button.
The scan results will be displayed in the Vulnerability Scan window in two tabs:
- System vulnerabilities
- Vulnerable applications
In order to eliminate the system vulnerability, select the object and click the Fix it button.
In the Vulnerable applications tab there are two variants to choose if you select an object:
- you can read the vulnerability description by clicking Details...
- you can create an exclusion rule for the selected vulnerability by clicking Add to exclusions...
In the Vulnerability Scan window, besides the Start Vulnerability Scan button, the information about when the scan task was stopped or completed is displayed. The time is also the link to open the detailed report.
In the detailed report you can find information about start, stop or completion of the vulnerability scan task and the list of vulnerable objects with the link to open the description for them.
Starting Vulnerability Scan using the created shortcut
The Vulnerability Scan task can be also started using the created shortcut.
In order to do it, you need just double-click on the vulnerability scan shortcut. The task performing process will be shown in the Vulnerability Scan window that will open and in the main application window.
Rolling back vulnerability eliminations
In Kaspersky PURE R2 you can view the list of performed vulnerability eliminations and roll back the performed actions (for example, to eliminate online browsing problems). In order to do this, perform the following actions:
select Computer Protection
go to the Scan tab
in the lower part of the window, click on the button Open Vulnerability Scan window
in the lower part of the Vulnerability Scan window on the System vulnerabilities tab, check the box Show fixed vulnerabilities
select the required eliminated vulnerability (marked as grey) and click on the Roll back button