The URL scanning module, which is called Kaspersky URL Advisor, is managed by the Web Anti-Virus component from Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. This module checks if links located on the web page belong to the list of suspicious and phishing web addresses from anti-virus databases which you get during anti-virus databases update.
Also Kaspersky URL Advisor uses reputation services from Kaspersky Security Network. Using data from the reputation services, Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 marks links in the web browser, thereby informing you about the possible dangers of this or that website even before you follow the link in question.
The user can modify the rating that is assigned and decide the level of rights that the program is granted by the system.
Reputation services are online databases containing information about:
- trusted programs and websites (white listing)
- suspect programs and websites (Urgent Detection System, or UDS).
Kaspersky Lab experts add information to the UDS database before it is added to signature databases. This makes for much faster response times when new threats appear.
Kaspersky URL Advisor works both when viewing websites in a web browser and when communicating via email or instant messaging applications (such as ICQ, MSN and etc.).
The main improvements of Kaspersky URL Advisor from Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 are the following:
The module provides additional data concerning web resources to users. It allows to take a right decision concerning vising websites.
Kaspersky Security Network accumulates data concerning web resources to exactly identify whether the website is malicious or phishing.
In Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 for the Kaspersky URL Advisor module you can:
In Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 the list of supported web browsers has been expanded. Kaspersky URL Advisor can mark phishing and suspicious links in the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 6, 7, 8, 9.
Mozilla Firefox 3.х, 4.х, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x.
Google Chrome 7.х, 8.х, 9.х, and 10.х.
How to enable / disable Kaspersky URL Advisor
In order to enable the URL scanning module, perform the following actions:
- open the main application window
- on the uooer right hand corner of the main application window, click Settings
- on the upper left hand part of the Settings window, select Protection Center
- on the left hand part of the Settings window, select Web Anti-Virus
- on the right hand part of the Settings window in the Security level section, click on the Settings button
- on the Web Anti-Virus window, go to the Safe Surf tab
- on the Web Anti-Virus window, in the Kaspersky URL Advisor section, check the Check URLs box
- click OK in the Web Anti-Virus window
- click OK in the Settings window
- close the main application window.
The plug-in location and management
The plug-in for management through the Kaspersky URL Advisor module is shown in the form of a button with the Kaspersky Lab logo on the toolbar of the browsers Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
If you click on the button the Kaspersky URL Advisor window will open. You can specify the list of URLs to be scanned: on all web pages or on specified web pages.
If you select on all web pages but the exclusions, then you can create a list of trusted web addresses the content of which should not be scanned.