Why databases update is necessary
Hundreds of new viruses and their modifications appear every day. To ensure your computer's safety, update the anti-virus databases of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 regularly. It is also recommended that you weekly perform a Full Scan using the updated databases.
When the application is being updated, the following objects are downloaded and installed on your computer:
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 databases. Data is protected based on the databases that contain the signatures of threats and network attacks and methods of fighting against them. Protection components use it when searching for malicious objects and disinfecting them on your computer. Databases are regularly widened with new entries on threats and methods of fighting them. That is why it is strongly recommended that you update the databases regularly. Along with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 databases, the network drivers that are necessary for network traffic interception are updated.
- Application modules. Update packages eliminate vulnerabilities in Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012, add new functions, or improve the existing ones.
To download an anti-virus database update from Kaspersky Lab servers, you will need an Internet connection. By default, Internet connection settings are defined automatically. However, if you are using a proxy server to access the Internet, we recommend that you configure proxy server settings in advance.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 features an intelligent system for downloading updates; it only downloads updates for enabled components, which minimizes the network traffic and time required for downloading. As soon as a component is enabled, the corresponding updates start downloading to ensure up-to-date protection.
By default, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 downloads the updates automatically. You can configure the update process manually or set a schedule for automatic updates.
How run a database update from the application's shortcut menu
You can run databases update process from the application context menu:
- In the lower right part of the screen, right-click the Kaspersky icon.
- Select Update from the context menu. The Update window will open.
- Wait until the process is completed.
How run a database update from the application's window
In order to update the Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 databases from the main application window, perform the following actions:
- Open the main application window.
- In the lower part of the main application window, select Update.
- Click Run Update.
- Wait until the update process is completed.
What to do in case of any issues with updates
If you encounter any problems when updating Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012, read this article.