Concept of computer protection
New in Kaspersky PURE
New in interface
Main known issues
On March 27, 2012 Kaspersky Lab announces commercial release of Kaspersky PURE 2.0. The full version number: 22.214.171.1248 (box version), 126.96.36.1998 (E-Store version).
1. Concept of computer protection
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 protects your computer against known and unknown threats, network and intruder attacks, spam and other unwanted data. Each type of threat is processed by a separate application component. This structure of the protection system allows a flexible configuration of the application, depending on the needs of any specific, or of an enterprise as a whole.
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 comprises the following protection tools:
Protection components providing protection of:
- files and personal data;
- network activity.
Virus scan tasks used to scan individual files, folders, drives, areas or the entire computer for viruses.
Update ensuring the up-to-date status of the internal application modules, and the databases used to scan for malicious programs, and to detect network attacks and spam messages.
Wizards and tools facilitating the execution of tasks occurring during the operation of Kaspersky PURE 2.0.
Support features that provide information support for working with the program and expanding its capabilities.
To the contents ↑
2. Key features of Kaspersky PURE 2.0
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 is a versatile tool for protecting data on the home network against all kinds of information threats. The application ensures protection against viruses and malware, unknown threats and fraud, it lets you control user access to the computer and the Internet, back up data, and create encrypted containers for confidential information, and manage computer security on the home network from the administrator workstation.
This comprehensive protection covers all channels that are used to receive and transfer data. Flexible customization of every protection component makes Kaspersky PURE 2.0 adaptable to specific user requirements.
Advanced anti-virus technology
of Kaspersky PURE 2.0 provides protection against such modern-day data threats as viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, bootkits, botnets, and other illegal methods of controlling computers remotely, theft of logins, passwords, and other personal data stored on a computer, spam and phishing, hacker attacks, and unwanted web content.
Proactive Defense technology
of Kaspersky PURE 2.0 provides protection against new threats by using behavior stream signature analysis to monitor and prevent suspicious or dangerous behavior of computer applications.
monitors the activity of applications running on the computer and restricts their access to important areas of the operating system and personal data. Applications are grouped as Trusted, Low Restricted, High Restricted, and Untrusted, based on the data of Kaspersky Lab reputation services. The group to which an application has been assigned defines restrictions imposed on its activity.
Unique Sandbox technologies (SafeDesktop, SafeBrowser, SafeRun)
employ virtualization techniques on a lesser or greater scale to create a safe environment for running applications. Safe Run mode allows users to try out new software in isolation, thereby protecting the operating system against any modifications. An unlimited number of web browsers and other applications can be run in Safe Run mode at the same time.
- The personal data protection toolkit automatically denies user access to known phishing sites and blocks key loggers from stealing passwords and access codes.
employs exact and expert methods to reduce the flow of unsolicited emails considerably. The exact methods apply strict email filtering rules that help identify a message as spam beyond any doubt. The expert methods are used to analyze the email messages that have passed filtering by exact methods.
Backup and Restore
provides storage and protection of important user data (documents, pictures, and music files) against loss and damage by malware, accidental deletion, or hard drive failure. In the event of loss, data can be restored quickly from backups saved in special storages on a user-selected drive.
protects children and teenagers against threats inherent in computer and Internet usage. Parental Control allows setting flexible user-level access restrictions for resources and applications based on user age and experience and lets you view statistical reports on user activity.
Cutting-edge "transparent" encryption technology
provides reliable protection of user data against unauthorized access or theft by creating special data storages called container files. Once mounted, a container file operates as a secure virtual drive. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 ensures that encrypted information remains confidential in case of a virus attack, loss or theft of a USB drive, or when a mobile computer is used on an unsecured Wi-Fi network.
securely stores passwords and other user account data as well as ensures confidential completion of various login forms. Password Manager links passwords and accounts to web pages or Microsoft Windows applications. When a web page or application is loaded, user names and passwords are filled in automatically.
Home Network Control
lets you run virus scan and update tasks for all or some computers on the network, manage data backup, and customize Parental Control settings for any computer on the network directly from the user’s workstation. This allows remote security management of any computer on the home network.
To the contents ↑
3. What’s new in Kaspersky PURE 2.0
Improved removal of incompatible applications during installation. Incompatible software detection is performed based on a list of incompatible applications. The list of incompatible applications is updated each time you launch update of Kaspersky PURE 2.0. Therefore, if you install a new version of the application (for example, Critical Fix) is installed, during installation of Kaspersky PURE 2.0 incompatible software detection will be performed based on the updated list.
Improved product activation. In Kaspersky PURE 2.0 product activation, license purchasing and migration is too easy.
- The impact of the application on the system performance has been optimized for the most common online user scenarios: watching movies (including high-resolution (HDTV)), listening to the radio, searching and browsing websites, making calls via VoIP (Skype and etc.), online games and etc.
- The application’s efficiency has been improved and its impact on the computer’s performance significantly reduced.
Intellectual system of updates downloading has been implemented. This system allows to download databases for the enabled application components, thus minimizing the volume of the downloaded updates and the time needed for download.
- Touch-screen support is added.
- Protection against unknown threats has been improved with the help of System Watcher. System Watcher uses information collected by other components of the application (for example, Proactive Defense, Mail Anti-Virus, Web Anti-Virus and etc.), which significantly improves the capacity to detect new unknown threats. Once a malware is detected, its actions will be momentally blocked. All actions performed by applications are logged. Therefore, you will be able to roll back all malicious actions if an application is detected as a malware.
- The Kaspersky URL Advisor module has been enhanced. The process of determining the level of danger utilizes information not only from the databases of malicious and phishing URLs but also from the databases located on Kaspersky Lab servers. The Kaspersky URL Advisor module informs you of potential danger of a web-site even before you click the link. Furthermore, Kaspersky URL Advisor allows you to specify unwanted categories of web sites (such as "pornography", "cruelty and violence").
- Improved compatibility of Kaspersky URL Advisor from Kaspersky PURE 2.0 with web browsers. The following web borwsers are fully-compatible with Kaspersky PURE 2.0:
- Internet Explorer version 6, 7, 8, 9;
- Mozilla FireFox version 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x;
- Google Chrome version 7.x, 8.x, 9.x,10.x, 11.x, 12.x, 13.x.
- Protection against phishing has been improved: information about the availability of a particular resource is first checked in the local database of phishing websites stored on Kaspersky Lab servers. Next, a request is sent to the “cloud” (Kaspersky Security Network), If there is no information in the two sources, heuristic analysis is carried out.
- File security detection. A function to define the file security before starting work with it has been added. For example, if you downloaded a file from the Internet and you doubt its security, check its reputation in Kaspersky Security Network.
- Technologies of rootkit detection (rootkit is a program designed to hide the fact of system infection) have been significantly improved.
- No training of the Anti-Spam module is required due to access to the “cloud” database of sample spam messages.
- Enhanced protection from spam. In Kaspersky PURE 2.0 messages analysis is performed not only by heuristic analysis of text, subjects and images, but also cloud technologies (Kaspersky Security Network). The technology use allows real-time spam detection.
- The function to view tasks execution has been implemented within Task Manager. The function allows you to define how the system resources are consumed and review the status of executed tasks, thus optimizing computer resources.
In Backup and Restore:
- Backup tasks take less time.
- Backup compression feature has been added for more efficient use of backup storage space.
- Preset options have simplified the creation of backup tasks.
In Parental Control:
- Initial configuration of Parental Control has been simplified significantly through the added option of user control level selection.
- Parental Control now supports quick access to reports and control settings.
- Improved control of user communication via social networks and instant messengers.
In Data Encyption:
- The creation of encrypted containers for important files has been simplified.
- One encrypted container now comes by default.
In Password Manager:
- The account creation procedure in Password Manager is adapted to the account type selected.
- Password Generator has been improved.
- Virtual Keyboard has been redesigned.
Centralized remote management of security, Parental Control, backup, and licensing on the home network has been simplified.
In Additional Tools:
- The File Shredder tool to delete data permanently has been improved.
- Rescue Disk has been improved and can now be written to a USB drive.
To the contents ↑
4. New in interface of Kaspersky PURE 2.0
Application interface has been improved considerably to provide ease of use for people with different levels of computer literacy.
To the contents ↑
5. Main known issues
- The maximum size limit for Quarantine and Backup and Restore does not work.
- Some application windows do not correspond to Microsoft computer management from keyboard standards.
- Groups of windows cannot be closed through Windows 7 taskbar.
- Application window cannot be closed through Windows 7 taskbar preview.
- "A backup task has not been completed" status is displayed in the general protection status and in the Backup and Restore section when backup tasks are performed.
- Protection parameters cannot be reverted to default values.
AVZ reports cannot be created under 64-bit operating systems.
- In some cases, characters cannot be entered using the Virtual Keyboard in entry fields of web browsers or applications.
- When in Safe Run mode, Microsoft Outlook Express (Windows Mail) email client may fail to display some email messages received from the standard Microsoft Windows environment.
To the contents ↑