What is a key file
A key file is a file with the following name: xxxxxxxx.key. This file contains commercial, trial or beta license data, and is required by Kaspersky Security 8.0 for SharePoint Server to function.
Data contained in a key file
- License number - a unique number required by Technical Support.
- Maximum number of computers - maximum number of hosts that can use this license at the same time.
- Key validity period - time remaining until the license expires. A key starts expiring once activated.
- Creation date - the date the key file was created using an activation code. This date is used for calculating the key file validity period.
- License life-time - time elapsed since the license was created. A license life-time can span several years. A license cannot be activated once its life-time is over.
- Key file expiration date - the final date the key file can be used to activate the application
- Information about technical support terms.
There are two types of key files.
Commercial key files
Commercial key files serve for activating legally purchased Kaspersky Lab software and using it for a certain period of time. Commercial key files are usually valid for 1 year.
When the key file expires, Kaspersky Security 8.0 for SharePoint Server keeps scanning files using the existing antivirus databases, but can no longer update them.
Commercial key file users are entitled to receive full technical support via telephone and via CompanyAccount.
Please note. We recommend saving a copy of commercial key files on some removable device.
Trial key files
Trial key files
allow you to try Kaspersky Lab
software during a set period of time. Kaspersky Lab offers trial keys for free.
If you have used a trial key file to activate an application, you cannot extend your license with another trial key file. The second trial key file expiration date will be equal to the expiration date of the first trial key file.
Please note. When the key file expires, Kaspersky Security 8.0 for SharePoint Server stops scanning files and updating antivirus databases.