The URL scanning module, which is called Kaspersky URL Advisor, is managed by the Web Anti-Virus component from Kaspersky PURE 3.0. This module checks if links located on the web page belong to the list of suspicious and phishing web addresses from anti-virus databases which you get during anti-virus databases update.
Also Kaspersky URL Advisor uses reputation services from Kaspersky Security Network. Using data from the reputation services, Kaspersky PURE 3.0 marks links in the web browser, thereby informing you about the possible dangers of this or that website even before you follow the link in question.
The user can modify the rating that is assigned and decide the level of rights that the program is granted by the system.
Reputation services are online databases containing information about:
- trusted programs and websites (white listing)
- suspect programs and websites (Urgent Detection System, or UDS).
Kaspersky Lab experts add information to the UDS database before it is added to signature databases. This makes for much faster response times when new threats appear.
Kaspersky URL Advisor works both when viewing websites in a web browser and when communicating via email or instant messaging applications (such as ICQ, MSN and etc.).
In Kaspersky PURE 3.0 for the Kaspersky URL Advisor module you can:
- Configure the protection scope:
- scan links on all websites but exceptions
- scan links only on specified websites.
- Select the check mode. There are two modes: check all URLs and check URLs only in search results
- Specify categories of websites on which links must be scanned.