Applies to:Kaspersky PURE Release 2
If (un)installation process of a Kaspersky PURE finishes with an error, you should get the (un)installation tracing to diagnose the problem.
In Kaspersky PURE the (un)installation log is created automatically. The logs are automatically saved into the folder %temp% (usually C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Documents and Settings\<profile name>\LocalSettings\Temp) and might have the following names:
To find the tracing file of the program (un)installation, do the following:
- go to Start> Run
- in the Open field enter %TEMP%
- click OK
- in the open dialog window of the %TEMP% folder find the file named kl-install-<setup date>-<setup time>.log
In the Windows Vista OS by default Windows Installer version 4.0 is installed. If Windows Vista or Windows Installer version 4.0 is installed on your PC then by default when uninstalling programs the program uninstallation log is created with the name MSI<charset>.log (example, file named MSI8ba62.LOG) is created in the %TEMP% folder.
Sometimes the product (un)installation log may not be generated. In these cases it is recommended to enable the (un)installation log manually. To get installation/uninstallation tracing, do the following:
- Download the archive MSI_log.zip
- Unpack all files from the archive
- Run the file MSI_log_on.reg to add the necessary key to the registry and click Yes. As a result the window confirming addition of the information to the registry is displayed.
- Run program installation/uninstallation
- Reproduce the problem once again by provoking the installation/uninstallation error.
- As a result the text file is generated – installer’s log with the name MSI*.log (where * is an arbitrary choice of alphanumeric symbols. This file is saved to the Temp folder. By default the Temp folder resides:
- under Windows Vista in the folder \Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
- under Windows NT/2000/XP in the folder \Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
- under Windows 98/ME in the folder %WINDIR%\Temp
- Run the file MSI_log_off.reg and click Yes. Installation/Uninstallation tracing log will be disabled.
To have quick access to the folder in which the program installation/uninstallation log is saved, click Start > Run > enter %temp% in the Open field > Enter.
Installer log is created when installing or uninstalling the application, each time under unique name. If the Temp folder already has logs with the name MSI*.log created during previous installations, then in order to find the necessary log look for the log with the latest creation date/time.
If installation process of a Kaspersky Lab home product finishes with an error, you need also to attach to the request to Kaspersky Lab Technical Support the product installation report files:
for Windows Vista / 7: setupapi.app.log and setupapi.dev.log, which are stored in the folder \Windows\inf\.
for Windows XP: setupapi.log which is stored in the folder \Windows/