Applies to Kaspersky PURE
A common method of concealing viruses is to embed them into compound files, for example archives. To detect viruses that are hidden this way a compound file should be unpacked, that can significantly lower the scan speed.
Installer packages (files to install different applications) and files containing OLE objects (objects: pictures, texts, tables etc., which are created in one application by can be opened by another application) are executed when they are opened, which makes them more dangerous than archives. By disabling archive scans and enabling scans for these file types, you can protect your computer against execution of malicious code and, at the same time, increase the scan speed.
In order to modify the list of scanned compound files:
- open the main application window
- click the My Computer Protection button
- in the right upper corner of the My Computer Protection window, click the Settings link
- in the Settings - My Computer Protection window in the Protection section, select the File Anti-Virus component
- click the Settings button in the Security level section
- go to the Performance tab
- in the Scan of compound files section check the boxes for the types of compound files to be scanned by File Anti-Virus:
- Scan archives
- Scan installation packages
- Scan embedded OLE objects
When large compound files are scanned, their preliminary unpacking may require a long time. This term may be reduced if files are scanned in the background. If a malicious object is detected while working with such a file, the application will notify you about it. In order to enable Kaspersky PURE to unpack large-sized files in the background, perform the following actions:
- in the File Anti-Virus window on the Performance tab in the Scan of compound files section, click the Additional button.
- in the Compound files window, check the Extract compound files in the background box
- specify the Minimum file size in the field
In order to increase the scan speed, you can disable unpacking files sized larger than the specified value. To reduce the delay when accessing compound files, you may disable unpacking the files of a size, which is larger than the specified value.
In order to not unpack large-sized compound files, perform the following actions:
- in the Compound files window, check the Do not unpack large compound files box
- specify the file size in the Maximum file size field
- click OK
- close the File Anti-Virus window by clicking the OK button
- in the Settings - My Computer Protection window, click the OK button
- close the My Computer Protection window by clicking the Close button
- close the main application window.