Applies to:Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011
Scanning the computer for viruses and vulnerabilities is one of the most important tasks in ensuring the computer's security. The virus scan detects the spreading of malicious code, which has not been detected by the malware protection for some reasons. Vulnerability scan detects software vulnerabilities that can be used by intruders to spread malicious objects and obtain access to personal information.
Kaspersky Lab's specialists distinguish the virus scan tasks:
- scan for viruses (including scan of removable drives). Developers of malicious programs make a lot effort to hide activity of malicious software; that is why you may not notice presence of malware on your computer. During the installation a Kaspersky Lab 2011 product automatically performs the task of Critical Areas Scan of the computer. This task searches and neutralizes malicious programs loaded at the operating system startup.
- system's and applications' vulnerability scan. Vulnerability scan is a special tool which helps to search and eliminate security vulnerabilities of applications, installed on your computer, and in operating system settings. All the problems detected at the system analysis stage will be grouped based on the degree of danger it poses. Kaspersky Lab specialists offer a set of actions for each group of problems which help to eliminate vulnerabilities and weak points in the system's settings.
How to start vulnerability scan task in Kaspersky Internet Secuirty 2011?
How to start vulnerability scan task in Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011?
Kaspersky Lab distinguishes virus scan tasks and vulnerability scan tasks. Virus scan tasks include the following:
- object scan. Scan of any object selected by the user.
- full scan. A thorough scan of the entire system. The following objects are scanned by default: system memory, programs loaded on startup, system backup, email databases, hard drives, removable storage media and network drives.
- critical areas scan. Virus scan of operating system startup objects.
Each scan task is performed in the specified area and can be launched according to the schedule created. A set of virus scan task parameters define the security level. By default, three levels are provided.
- high. With the high security level the program performs thorough scan of the whole computer or of a separate disk, folder or a file on the computer.
- recommended. This level scans the same objects which are scanned in the high security level, except files of mail formats.
- low. If you are using applications requiring considerable RAM resources, select the Low security level because the application puts least demand on system resources in this mode.
The full scan and critical areas scan tasks are specific tasks. It is not recommended to change the list of objects scanned by these tasks.
After the virus scan task starts, its progress is displayed in the main application window of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 / Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011.
While searching for threats, information with the results of the task execution is written into a report of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 / Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. The main application window also displays the information when the scan task was stopped or finished. The time reference is a link to the report window of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 / Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011.
The dialog windows for Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 are the same but with corresponding product names and the number of protection components.
In the settings window, you can specify the following settings for a vulnerability scan task:
- schedule tasks to run automatically. You can find detailed instruction in our Knowledge Base:
- create a list of objects to scan. You can find detailed instruction in our Knowledge Base: