Applies to Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac
Scanning the computer for viruses is one of the most important task in ensuring the computer's security. The virus scan detects the spreading of malicious code, which has not been detected by the malware protection for some reasons.
Developers of malicious programs make a lot effort to hide activity of malicious software; that is why you may not notice presence of malware on your computer. During the installation Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac automatically performs the task of Quick Scan of the computer. This task searches and neutralizes malicious programs loaded at the operating system startup.
Kaspersky Lab distinguishes virus scan tasks. Virus scan tasks include the following tasks:
- Quick Scan. Scan of critical areas of the system: system folders and libraries.
- Full Scan. A thorough scan of the entire system. The following objects are scanned by default: system memory, programs loaded on startup, system backup, email databases, hard drives, removable storage media and network drives.
- Virus Scan. Scan of any object selected by the user.
Each scan task is performed in the specified area and can be launched according to the schedule created. A set of virus scan task parameters define the security level. By default, three levels are provided:
- high. With the high security level the program performs thorough scan of the whole computer or of a separate disk, folder or a file on the computer.
- recommended. This level scans the same objects which are scanned in the high security level, except files of mail formats.
- low. If you are using applications requiring considerable RAM resources, select the Low security level because the application puts least demand on system resources in this mode.
The full scan and critical areas scan tasks are specific tasks. It is not recommended to change the list of objects scanned by these tasks.
After the scan task starts, its progress is displayed in the main application window of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac.
While searching for threats, information with the results of the task execution is written into a report of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac. Also you can access the report window of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac by clicking on the button with the arrow icon.