Configuring VPN on Android devices (only Samsung)
To securely connect an Android device to Wi-Fi networks and protect data transfer, you should configure the settings for VPN (Virtual Private Network).
Configuration of VPN is possible only for Samsung devices running Android version 5.0 or later.
The following requirements should be considered when using a virtual private network:
- The app that uses the VPN connection must be allowed in Firewall settings.
- Virtual private network settings configured in the policy cannot be applied to system applications. The VPN connection for system applications has to be configured manually.
- Some applications that use the VPN connection need to have additional settings configured at first startup. To configure settings, the VPN connection has to be allowed in application settings.
To configure VPN on a user's mobile device:
- Open the window with the settings of the policy for managing devices.
- In the policy Properties: <Policy name> window, select the Manage Samsung KNOX → Manage Samsung devices section.
- In the VPN section, click the Configure button.
This opens the VPN network window.
- In the Connection type drop-down list, select the type of VPN connection.
- In the Network name field, enter the name of the VPN tunnel.
- In the Server address field, enter the network name or IP address of the VPN server.
- In the DNS search domain(s) list, enter the DNS search domain to be automatically added to the DNS server name.
You can specify several DNS search domains, separating them with blank spaces.
- In the DNS server(s) field, enter the full domain name or IP address of the DNS server.
You can specify several DNS servers, separating them with blank spaces.
- In the Routing field, enter the range of network IP addresses with which data is exchanged via the VPN connection.
If the range of IP addresses is not specified in the Routing field, all Internet traffic will pass through the VPN connection.
- Additionally configure the following settings for networks of the IPSec Xauth PSK and L2TP IPSec PSK types:
- In the IPSec shared key field, enter the password for the preset IPSec security key.
- In the IPSec ID field, enter the name of the mobile device user.
- For an L2TP IPSec PSK network, additionally specify the password for the L2TP key in the L2TP key field.
- For a PPTP network, select the Use SSL connection check box so that the app will use the MPPE (Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption) method of data encryption to secure data transmission when the mobile device connects to the VPN server.
- Click the Apply button to save the changes you have made.
Mobile device settings are configured after the next device synchronization with the Kaspersky Security Center.