How to check health of a hard drive
October 3, 2023
Kaspersky application constantly monitors the health of both internal and external hard drives of your computer. The monitoring works in the background. If your hard drive's health is getting worse and it is no more safe to store data on the drive, the application notifies you and offers to copy data to other media.
The Hard Drive Health Monitor window shows the following information about the hard drive:
- Drive health.
- Drive temperature.
The hard drive can be in one of the following states:
- Good – the state corresponding to a new hard drive.
- Normal – there are minor issues with the hard drive.
- Bad – the hard drive state is critical, data loss is possible.
The hard drive temperature range can be one of the following:
- Good – the hard drive is not overheating.
- Normal – the temperature of the hard drive is slightly raised.
- Bad – the hard drive is overheating.
The Drive health history chart shows information about drive health change over the specified period. The maximum displayed period is 1 year.
Kaspersky application also shows the following statistics about your hard drives:
- Total power-on hours – the total hard drive uptime, in hours.
- Total power cycle count – the total number of power-ons of the hard drive.
The <drive name> S.M.A.R.T. attributes report shows information about the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. parameter values sorted by severity. Parameter set may vary depending on the manufacturer and model of the hard drive.
To check the current health of your computer's hard drives:
- Open the main application window.
- Go to the Performance section.
- Under Take care of your hard drive and data:
- If you want to view the graph, click the History button.
- If you want to view the report, click the Details button.
This takes you to the window where you can look at details of your hard drive condition.