Creating a Portable Scanner
August 3, 2023
Before you create a Portable Scanner, make sure that the Database Update task is not running or has already completed.
To create a Portable Scanner:
- In the notification area, in the context menu of the application icon, select the Open Compact Diagnostic Interface.
- In the Compact Diagnostic Interface window that opens, click the Create Portable scanner link.
The Parameters for the Portable scanner window appears and prompts you to select the license file.
- Click the License key files (*.key) button to add the Kaspersky Industrial CyberSecurity for Nodes Portable Scanner license file in the displayed window.
After the license file is added, the licensing information is displayed.
- Click the Next button.
- In the Parameters for the Portable scanner window, specify the scan scope. By default, My computer is added as the scan area. If you want to add more areas to scan, click Add. In the Scan area window that appears, select the required items and click OK to save the changes.
- In the Parameters for the Portable scanner window, click the Scan settings button.
The Scan settings window opens.
- On the General tab, select the appropriate options:
- On the Advanced tab, select the appropriate options:
- On the Performance tab, select the appropriate options:
- Click the Next button.
- To create a Portable Scanner, select a removable drive from the drop-down list. The system updates the list of available removable drives automatically and verifies if 2 GB of free space is available on the selected drive. The USB drive should be available for writing.
- Select Verify scanner data after writing to the disk, if applicable.
Use this option to verify scanner data. For example, if you plan to create several portable scanners with the same settings in a row, verifying data for the very first portable scanner and discovering the discrepancies on an early stage saves you time. By default, the option is disabled.
- Click the Create button to finish the wizard.
The wizard verifies that 2 GB of free space are available on the selected drive and creates the Portable Scanner. If a Portable Scanner already exists on the drive and you want to install a new Portable Scanner with different settings, the Setup Wizard overwrites the files of the existing Portable Scanner, except for the reports and log files. If the 2 GB of free space verification is not passed, you may want to remove some files or the existing Portable Scanner on the drive to free up the required space and create a new Portable Scanner.
If you decide to interrupt writing, the installation wizard terminates writing without a roll back.
After you complete the installation, the installation wizard prompts you to create the next Portable Scanner. If you decide to create another portable scanner, the installation procedure is repeated from step 3. Otherwise, the Setup Wizard closes.
After the Portable Scanner is installed, the following files are available on the USB drive:
- Kavscan—a folder containing the scanning utility, application files, settings files, anti-virus databases, and reports.
- kavscan.exe—scanning utility.
- startscan.cmd—command file to start the scanning utility without opening the terminal window.
- Bases—a folder with Kaspersky Industrial CyberSecurity for Nodes anti-virus databases as of the date when the Portable Scanner is written on the USB drive.