Assigning a device a distribution point manually
Nov 27, 2023
Kaspersky Security Center allows you to assign devices to act as distribution points.
We recommend that you assign distribution points automatically. In this case, Kaspersky Security Center will select on its own which devices must be assigned distribution points. However, if you have to opt out of assigning distribution points automatically for any reason (for example, if you want to use exclusively assigned servers), you can assign distribution points manually after you calculate their number and configuration.
Devices functioning as distribution points must be protected, including physical protection, against any unauthorized access.
To manually assign a device to act as distribution point:
- In the console tree, select the Administration Server node.
- In the context menu of the Administration Server, select Properties.
- In the Administration Server properties window, select the Distribution points section and click the Add button. This button is available if Manually assign distribution points has been selected.
The Add distribution point window opens.
- In the Add distribution point window, perform the following actions:
- Select a device that will act as distribution point (select one in an administration group, or specify the IP address of a device). When selecting a device, keep in mind the operation features of distribution points and the requirements set for the device that acts as distribution point.
- Indicate the specific devices to which the distribution point will distribute updates. You can specify an administration group or a network location description.
- Click OK.
The distribution point that you have added will be displayed in the list of distribution points, in the Distribution points section.
- Select the newly added distribution point in the list and click the Properties button to open its properties window.
- Configure the distribution point in the properties window:
- The General section contains the settings of interaction between the distribution point and client devices.
- In the Scope section, specify the scope to which the distribution point will distribute updates (administration groups and / or network location).
- In the KSN Proxy section, you can configure the application to use the distribution point to forward KSN requests from the managed devices.
- In the Device discovery section, configure the polling of Windows domains, Active Directory, and IP ranges by the distribution point.
- In the Advanced section, specify the folder that the distribution point must use to store distributed data.
The selected devices act as distribution points.
Only devices running a Windows operating system can determine their network location. Network location cannot be determined for devices running other operating systems.