Installing images of operating systems
Dec 4, 2023
Kaspersky Security Center allows you to deploy WIM images of desktop and server-based Windows® operating systems on devices within an organization's network.
The following methods can be used to retrieve an operating system image that would be deployable by using Kaspersky Security Center tools:
- Import from the install.wim file included in the Windows distribution package
- Capturing an image from a reference device
Two scenarios are supported for deployment of operating system images:
- Deployment on a "clean" device, that is, without any operating system installed
- Deployment on a device running Windows
Use Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) for capturing and deploying operating system images. All drivers required for proper functioning of all target devices must be added to WinPE. Generally, network adapter and storage controller drivers must be added.
The following requirements must be met in order to implement scenarios of image deployment and capture:
- Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) version 2.0, or later, or Windows ADK with the Windows PE add-on for the Windows ADK must be installed on the Administration Server. If the scenario allows for installing or capturing images on Windows XP, WAIK must be installed.
- A DHCP server must be available on the network where the target device is located.
- The shared folder of the Administration Server must be open for reading from the network where the target device is located. If the shared folder is located on the Administration Server, access is required for the KlPxeUser account (this account is created automatically while running the Administration Server Installer). If the shared folder is located outside the Administration Server, access must be granted to everyone.
When selecting the operating system image to be installed, the administrator must explicitly specify the CPU architecture of the target device: x86 or x86-64.