Network Agent disk cloning mode
Dec 4, 2023
Cloning the hard drive of a reference device is a popular method of software installation on new devices. If Network Agent is running in standard mode on the hard drive of the reference device, the following problem arises:
After the reference disk image with Network Agent is deployed on new devices, they are displayed in Administration Console under a single icon. This problem arises because the cloning procedure causes new devices to keep identical internal data, which allows the Administration Server to associate a device with an icon in Administration Console.
The special Network Agent disk cloning mode allows you to avoid problems with an incorrect display of new devices in Administration Console after cloning. Use this mode when you deploy software (with Network Agent) on new devices by cloning the disk.
In disk cloning mode, Network Agent keeps running but does not connect to the Administration Server. When exiting the cloning mode, Network Agent deletes the internal data, which causes Administration Server to associate multiple devices with a single icon in Administration Console. Upon completing the cloning of the reference device image, new devices are displayed in Administration Console properly (under individual icons).
Network Agent disk cloning mode use scenario
- The administrator installs Network Agent on the reference device.
- The administrator checks the Network Agent connection to the Administration Server using the klnagchk utility.
- The administrator enables the Network Agent disk cloning mode.
- The administrator installs software and patches on the device, and restarts it as many times as needed.
- The administrator clones the hard drive of the reference device on any number of devices.
- Each cloned copy must meet the following conditions:
- The device name must be changed.
- The device must be restarted.
- The disk cloning mode must be disabled.
Enabling and disabling the disk cloning mode using the klmover utility
To enable or disable the Network Agent disk cloning mode:
- Run the klmover utility on the device with Network Agent installed that you have to clone.
The klmover utility is located in the Network Agent installation folder.
- To enable the disk cloning mode, enter the following command at the Windows command prompt:
klmover -cloningmode 1.
Network Agent switches to disk cloning mode.
- To request the current status of the disk cloning mode, enter the following command at the command prompt:
The utility window shows whether the disk cloning mode is enabled or disabled.
- To disable the disk cloning mode, enter the following command in the utility command line:
klmover -cloningmode 0.