Preparing a Windows device for remote installation in silent mode
Dec 4, 2023
To prepare a Windows device for remote installation in silent mode:
Run the riprep.exe file on the client device from the command line with the requisite set of keys.
Utility command line syntax:
riprep.exe [-silent] [-cfg CONFIG_FILE] [-tl traceLevel]
Descriptions of the keys:
-silent—Starts the utility in silent mode.
-cfg CONFIG_FILE—Defines the utility configuration, where
CONFIG_FILEis the path to the configuration file (a file with the .ini extension).
-tl traceLevel—Defines the trace level, where
traceLevelis a number from 0 to 5. If no key is specified, the value 0 is used.
You can perform the following tasks by starting the utility in silent mode:
- Disabling the simple sharing of files
- Starting the Server service on the client device
- Opening the ports
- Creating a local account
- Disabling User Account Control (UAC)
You can specify the parameters for device preparation for remote installation in the configuration file specified in the
-cfg key. To define these parameters, add the following information to the configuration file:
- In the
Commonsection, specify the tasks to be performed:
DisableSFS—Disable the simple sharing of files (0 —the task is disabled; 1 —the task is enabled).
StartServer—Start the Server service (0 —the task is disabled; 1 —the task is enabled).
OpenFirewallPorts—Open the necessary ports (0 —the task is disabled; 1 —the task is enabled).
DisableUAC—Disable User Account Control (UAC) (0 —the task is disabled; 1 —the task is enabled).
RebootType—Define behavior if restart of device is required when UAC is disabled. You can use the following values:
- 0—Never restart the device.
- 1—Restart the device, if UAC was enabled before starting the utility.
- 2—Force restart, if UAC was enabled before starting the utility.
- 4—Always restart the device.
- 5—Always restart the device with force.
- In the
UserAccountsection, specify the account name (
user) and its password (
Sample context of the configuration file:
After the utility completes, the following files will be created in the utility start folder:
- riprep.txt—Operation report, in which phases of the utility operation are listed with reasons for these operations.
- riprep.log—Trace file (created if the tracing level is set above 0).