Using a file system snapshot to reduce the backup duration
Nov 27, 2023
In Kaspersky Security Center 14.2, the idle time of Administration Server during backup has been reduced as compared to earlier versions. Moreover, the Use file system snapshot for data backup feature has been added to the task settings. This feature provides additional idle reduction by using the klbackup utility, which creates a shadow copy of the disk during backup (this takes a few seconds) and simultaneously copies the database (this takes a few minutes at longest). When klbackup creates a shadow copy of the disk and a copy of the database, the utility makes the Administration Server connectible again.
You can use the file system snapshotting feature only if these two conditions are met:
- The Administration Server shared folder and the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\KasperskyLab folder are located on the same logical disk and are local in reference to the Administration Server.
- The %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\KasperskyLab folder does not contain any symbolic links that have been created manually.
Do not use the feature if either of these conditions cannot be met. In this case, the application would return an error message in response to any attempt to create a file system snapshot.
To use the feature, you must have an account that has been granted the permission to create snapshots of the logical disk storing the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% folder. Note that the Administration Server service account has no such permission.
To use the file system snapshotting feature in order to reduce the backup duration:
- In the Tasks section, select the backup task.
- In the context menu, select Properties.
- In the task properties window that opens, select the Settings section.
- Select the Use file system snapshot for data backup check box.
- In the User name and Password fields, enter the name and password of an account that has the permission to create snapshots of the logical disk storing the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% folder.
- Click Apply.
At any further startup of the backup task, the klbackup utility will create file system snapshots thus reducing the Administration Server idle time during the task run.