Creating the Install Windows Update updates task
Dec 4, 2023
The Install Windows Update updates task allows you to install software updates provided by the Windows Update service on managed devices.
If you do not have the Vulnerability and patch management license, you cannot create new tasks of the Install Windows Update updates type. To install new updates, you can add them to an existing Install Windows Update updates task. We recommend that you use the Install required updates and fix vulnerabilities task instead of the Install Windows Update updates task. The Install required updates and fix vulnerabilities task enables you to install multiple updates and fix multiple vulnerabilities automatically, according to the rules that you define. In addition, this task enables you to install updates from software vendors other than Microsoft.
A user interaction may be required when you update a third-party application or fix a vulnerability in a third-party application on a managed device. For example, the user may be prompted to close the third-party application if it's currently open.
To create the Install Windows Update updates task:
- In the main menu, go to Devices → Tasks.
- Click Add.
The New task wizard starts. Proceed through the wizard by using the Next button.
- For the Kaspersky Security Center application, select the Install Windows Update updates task type.
- Specify the name for the task that you are creating.
A task name cannot be more than 100 characters long and cannot include any special characters ("*<>?\:|).
- Select devices to which the task will be assigned.
- Click the Add button.
The list of updates opens.
- Select the Windows Update updates that you want to install, and then click OK.
- Specify the operating system restart settings:
- Specify the account settings:
- If you want to modify the default task settings, enable the Open task details when creation is complete option on the Finish task creation page. If you do not enable this option, the task is created with the default settings. You can modify the default settings later, at any time.
- Click the Finish button.
The task is created and displayed in the list of tasks.
- Click the name of the created task to open the task properties window.
- In the task properties window, specify the general task settings according to your needs.
- Click the Save button.
The task is created and configured.