Forced deployment through the remote installation task of Kaspersky Security Center
Dec 4, 2023
If you need to start deploying Network Agents or other applications immediately, without waiting for the next time target devices log in to the domain, or if any target devices that are not members of the Active Directory domain are available, you can force installation of selected installation packages through the remote installation task of Kaspersky Security Center.
In this case, you can specify target devices either explicitly (with a list), or by selecting the Kaspersky Security Center administration group to which they belong, or by creating a selection of devices based upon a specific criterion. The installation start time is defined by the task schedule. If the Run missed tasks setting is enabled in the task properties, the task can be run either immediately after target devices are turned on, or when they are moved to the target administration group.
This type of installation consists in copying files to the administrative resource (admin$) on each device and performing remote registration of supporting services on them. The following conditions must be met in this case:
- Devices must be available for connection either from the Administration Server side, or from the distribution point side.
- Name resolution for target devices must function properly in the network.
- The administrative shares (admin$) must remain enabled on target devices.
- The Server system service must be running on target devices (by default, it is running).
- The following ports must be open on target devices to allow remote access through Windows tools: TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, and UDP 138.
- Simple File Sharing mode must be disabled on target devices.
- On target devices, the access sharing and security model must be set as Classic – local users authenticate as themselves, it can be in no way Guest only – local users authenticate as Guest.
- Target devices must be members of the domain, or uniform accounts with administrator rights must be created on target devices in advance.
Devices in workgroups can be adjusted in accordance with the above requirements by using the riprep.exe utility, which is described on Kaspersky Technical Support website.
During installation on new devices that have not yet been allocated to any of the Kaspersky Security Center administration groups, you can open the remote installation task properties and specify the administration group to which devices will be moved after Network Agent installation.
When creating a group task, keep in mind that each group task affects all devices in all nested groups within a selected group. Therefore, you must avoid duplicating installation tasks in subgroups.
Automatic installation is a simplified way to create tasks for forced installation of applications. To do this, open the administration group properties, open the list of installation packages and select the ones that must be installed on devices in this group. As a result, the selected installation packages will be automatically installed on all devices in this group and all of its subgroups. The time interval over which the packages will be installed depends on the network throughput and the total number of networked devices.
Forced installation can also be applied if devices cannot be directly accessed by the Administration Server: for example, devices are on isolated networks, or they are on a local network while the Administration Server item is in DMZ. To make forced installation possible, you must provide distribution points to each of the isolated networks.
Using distribution points as local installation centers may also be useful when performing installation on devices in subnets communicated with Administration Server via a low-capacity channel while a broader channel is available between devices in the same subnet. However, note that this installation method places a significant load on devices acting as distribution points. Therefore, it is recommended that you select powerful devices with high-performance storage units as distribution points. Moreover, the free disk space in the partition with the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\KasperskyLab\adminkit folder must exceed, by many times, the total size of the distribution packages of installed applications.