How to select a different protocol for Kaspersky VPN
October 2, 2023
The speed and availability of Kaspersky VPN depend on the region from where you are connecting. If you notice the speed going down or Kaspersky VPN being unavailable, try using a different protocol.
To select a different protocol for Kaspersky VPN:
- Open the main application window.
- In the main application window, click the button.
- Select Settings.
- Under Protocol, select:
- Select automatically. Kaspersky VPN uses the optimal protocol to establish the connection.
- Catapult Hydra. Kaspersky VPN uses the Catapult Hydra protocol to establish the connection. The Catapult Hydra protocol is the fastest, especially when transmitting data over long distances. It is also difficult to block. The Catapult Hydra protocol works with the AES 256 encryption algorithm.
- WireGuard. Kaspersky VPN uses the WireGuard protocol to establish the connection. The WireGuard protocol is an open-source protocol that shows good data transfer speeds on low-power devices. The WireGuard protocol uses the ChaCha20-Poly1305 data encryption algorithm.
Limitations of the protocol selection functionality
- To change the protocol, you must first turn off the secure VPN connection.
- The protocol selection functionality is available only on Microsoft Windows 10 or later.
- When using the WireGuard protocol, the Split tunneling functionality is not available. If you want to use this functionality, choose a different protocol.
- When using the WireGuard protocol, make sure that UDP protocol is not blocked on the device.