Filtering attachments in messages
January 10, 2024
Malicious programs can be distributed in the form of message attachments. You can configure filtering of email message attachments by type, so that files of such types are automatically renamed or deleted. By renaming an attachment of a certain type, Kaspersky Security can protect your virtual machine against automatic execution of malware.
To configure filtering of attachments using Kaspersky Security Center:
- Open Kaspersky Security Center Administration Console.
- In the Managed devices folder of the console tree, open the folder with the name of the administration group to which the relevant protected virtual machines belong.
- In the workspace, select the Policies tab.
- Select a Light Agent for Windows policy in the list of policies and open the Properties: <Policy name> by double-clicking.
- In the policy properties window, select the Mail Anti-Virus section in the list on the left.
- In the right part of the window, in the Security level section, click the Settings button.
- In the Mail Anti-Virus window that opens, on the Attachment filter tab, perform one of the following actions:
- If you do not want Mail Anti-Virus to filter message attachments, select the Do not apply filter option.
- If you want Mail Anti-Virus to rename message attachments of the specified types, select the Rename specified attachment types option.
- If you want Mail Anti-Virus to delete message attachments of the specified types, select the Delete specified attachment types option.
- If in step 7 of these instructions you have selected the Rename specified attachment types option or the Delete specified attachment types option, the list of file types becomes active. Set the check boxes next to the required file types. You can change the list of file types by using the Add, Edit, and Delete buttons.
- Click OK in the Mail Anti-Virus window.
- Click the Apply button.
To configure filtering of attachments in the local interface:
- On the protected virtual machine, open the application settings window.
- In the left part of the window, in the Anti-Virus protection section, select Mail Anti-Virus.
In the right part of the window, the Mail Anti-Virus component’s settings are displayed.
If the settings in the local interface are not available, this means that the values of settings defined by the policy are used for all protected virtual machines of the administration group.
- Complete steps 6–9 of the previous instructions.
- To save changes, click the Save button.