Checking web addresses against the database of phishing and malicious web addresses
January 10, 2024
The database of malicious web addresses contains a list of web resources whose content may be considered to be dangerous.
Checking web addresses against the database of phishing web addresses helps avoid phishing attacks. A phishing attack can be disguised, for example, as an email message from your bank with a link to the website of the bank. The link takes you to an exact copy of the bank’s website and you can even see the address similar to the bank’s original website in the browser. However, you are actually on a counterfeit website. From this point forward, all of your actions are tracked and can be used to steal your money.
Web Anti-Virus tracks attempts to access a phishing website during a web traffic scan and blocks access to such websites.
Lists of phishing and malicious web addresses are included in the Kaspersky Security distribution kit and are updated as application databases are updated.
To use Kaspersky Security Center to configure checking of web addresses against the databases of phishing and malicious web addresses:
- Open Kaspersky Security Center Administration Console.
- In the Managed devices folder of the console tree, open the folder with the name of the administration group to which the relevant protected virtual machines belong.
- In the workspace, select the Policies tab.
- Select a Light Agent for Windows policy in the list of policies and open the Properties: <Policy name> by double-clicking.
- In the policy properties window, select the Web Anti-Virus section in the list on the left.
- In the right part of the window, in the Security level section, click the Settings button.
- In the Web Anti-Virus window, on the General tab:
- If you want Web Anti-Virus to check web addresses against the databases of malicious web addresses, in the Scan methods section, select the Check if web addresses are listed in the database of malicious web addresses check box.
- If you want Web Anti-Virus to check web addresses against the databases of phishing web addresses, in the Anti-Phishing Settings section, select the Check if web addresses are listed in the database of phishing web addresses check box.
You can also use the reputation databases of Kaspersky Security Network to check web addresses against the databases of phishing and malicious web addresses.
- Click OK in the Web Anti-Virus window.
- Click the Apply button.
To use the local interface to configure checking of web addresses against databases of phishing and malicious web addresses:
- On the protected virtual machine, open the application settings window.
- In the left part of the window, in the Anti-Virus protection section, select Web Anti-Virus.
In the right part of the window, the Web Anti-Virus component’s settings are displayed.
If the settings in the local interface are not available, this means that the values of settings defined by the policy are used for all protected virtual machines of the administration group.
- Complete steps 6–8 of the previous instructions.
- To save changes, click the Save button.