Configuring the SVM selection algorithm
January 10, 2024
Light Agents may use an extended SVM selection algorithm, if you use the application under an enterprise license.
You can specify, which SVM selection algorithm Light Agents must use, in one of the following ways:
- In Kaspersky Security Center Administration Console, in Light Agent for Windows policy properties and Light Agent for Linux policy properties.
- In the local interface of Light Agent for Windows.
- Using the Web Console during creating or editing Light Agent for Windows policy and Light Agent for Linux policy (Application settings → Connection to SVM → SVM selection algorithm).
This section describes how to configure the settings using the Administration Console and in Light Agent for Windows local interface.
To specify the SVM selection algorithm to be used by Light Agents in the Administration Console:
- Open Kaspersky Security Center Administration Console.
- In the Managed devices folder of the console tree, open the folder with the name of the administration group to which the relevant protected virtual machines belong.
- In the workspace, select the Policies tab.
- In the list of policies, select Light Agent for Windows policy to configure Light Agent for Windows settings, or Light Agent for Linux policy to configure Light Agent for Linux settings, and open the Settings: <Policy name> window by double-clicking it.
- In the policy properties window, select the SVM selection algorithm section in the list on the left.
- In the right part of the window, select one of the following options:
- If you selected Use an advanced SVM selection algorithm option, and Light Agents use the Integration Server as SVM discovery method, you can specify how SVM location in the virtual infrastructure must be taken into the account when selecting SVM for connection using the SVM path slider.
If you selected a custom list of SVM addresses as the method used by Light Agents to discover SVMs, you must set the Ignore SVM path value for the SVM path parameter. If any other value is set, the Light Agents will not be available to connect to SVM.
- Click the Apply button.
- In virtual infrastructure running on TIONIX Cloud Platform or OpenStack platform, if you selected Use the standard SVM selection algorithm option, you can specify how to determine SVM locality relative to Light Agent. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Open the Integration Server configuration file %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Kaspersky VIISLA\viislaservice.exe.config for editing.
- Configure value of the
OpenStackStandardAlgorithmSvmLocalityparameter. This parameter can take the following values:
Server Group– if this value is selected, SVM is considered local for Light Agent if it is located within the same server group as the virtual machine where Light Agent is installed. This value is used by default.
Project– if this value is selected, SVM is considered as local for Light Agent if it is deployed within the same OpenStack project, as the virtual machine with the installed Light Agent.
Availability Zone– if this value is selected, SVM is considered as local for Light Agent, if it is located within the same availability zone, as the virtual machine with the installed Light Agent.
- Save the viislaservice.exe.config file.
- Restart the Integration Server.
To specify the SVM selection algorithm to be used by the Light Agent in the local interface:
- Open the application settings window.
- In the left part of the window, in the Connection to SVM section, select SVM selection algorithm.
If the settings in the local interface are not available, this means that the values of settings defined by the policy are used for all protected virtual machines of the administration group.
- Complete steps 6–7 of the previous instructions.
- To save changes, click the Save button.
- In the virtual infrastructure running on TIONIX Cloud Platform or OpenStack platform: if necessary, specify the way of SVM locality determination relative to Light Agent (see section 9 of the previous instructions).