Installing Kaspersky Security Center Network Agent on virtual machines
January 10, 2024
Network Agent installed on protected virtual machines facilitates interaction between protected virtual machines and the Kaspersky Security Center Administration Server, and lets you use Kaspersky Security Center to manage the operation of the Light Agent.
Installing on virtual machines with Windows operating systems:
You can install Network Agent, which is included in the distribution kit of Kaspersky Security Center 13 or 12 on a virtual machine where Light Agent for Windows will be installed.
If you are planning to install Light Agent for Windows on virtual machines locally using the Installation Wizard, from the command line, or by using Active Directory Group Policies, you need to install Network Agent on the virtual machines prior to installing Light Agent for Windows. Otherwise, installation of Light Agent for Windows ends with an error. Network Agent may be installed automatically during remote installation of Light Agent for Windows through Kaspersky Security Center using the Remote Installation Wizard or the remote installation task.
You can use one of the following methods to install Network Agent on virtual machines running Windows operating systems:
- Locally on each virtual machine using the Installation Wizard. This method is recommended for installing Network Agent on virtual machine templates.
- Remotely via Kaspersky Security Center using the remote installation wizard or the remote application installation task. Installation package for the Network Agent remote installation is generated automatically when Kaspersky Security Center is installed, and is located in the Administration Console in the Additional → Remote installation → Installation packages folder.
In the properties of the Network Agent installation package, in the Additional section, you are advised to select the Optimize settings for VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) check box. For more detailed information about remote installation of the application via Kaspersky Security Center, see the Kaspersky Security Center help.
- During remote installation of Light Agent for Windows using the Remote Installation Wizard or remote installation task. If you are using the Remote Installation Wizard, Network Agent will be installed automatically. If you are using the remote installation task, you can select the Install Network Agent along with this application check box in the task settings.
To install Network Agent locally on a virtual machine or virtual machine template with the Windows operating system:
- On the virtual machine, run the executable file named setup.exe, which is included in the distribution kit of Kaspersky Security Center and located in the Packages\NetAgent folder.
The Installation Wizard starts.
- Follow the installation wizard instructions.
Select the Optimize Network Agent settings for the virtual infrastructure check box during the "Additional Settings" step. Selecting this check box disables inventory of applications and hardware, and scanning of executable files for vulnerabilities when the wizard is started.
If you are installing Network Agent to a virtual machine template, also select the Enable dynamic mode for VDI check box. If the box is checked, after the virtual machine is disabled, this virtual machine is not displayed in the Kaspersky Security Center Administration Console.
Installing on virtual machines running Linux operating systems
Network Agent, which is included in Kaspersky Security for Virtualization 5.2 Light Agent (Network Agent 220.127.116.11 for 32-bit operating systems or Network Agent 18.104.22.168 for 64-bit operating systems) distribution package, must be installed on the virtual machine where Light Agent for Linux will be installed.
You can use one of the following methods to install Network Agent on virtual machines running Linux operating systems:
- As a result of installing Light Agent for Linux from the command line.
- As a result of remote installation of Light Agent for Linux through Kaspersky Security Center.
Network Agent is included in the SHAR archive for installing Light Agent for Linux and in the Light Agent for Linux installation package that is automatically created by the Kaspersky Security Components Installation Wizard. If you manually create an installation package for Light Agent for Linux, Network Agent will be included in the package.
On a virtual machine running a Linux operating system, you can also just install Network Agent without installing Light Agent for Linux. To do so, you need to start installation of Light Agent for Linux from the command line with the
For more detailed information about installing Kaspersky Security Center Network Agent, see the Kaspersky Security Center help.