Recommendations on how to configure Kaspersky products under Windows XP / Vista / 7
The article contains recommendations on how to reduce the load of antivirus software on the system and improve performance. the recommendations concern Kaspersky applications installed on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7.
Exclude files from scanning
Some files and folders on your computer cannot be infected by viruses. Scan may decrease system efficiency greatly due to blocking these files. You can exclude the following files from the scan scope:
- The file of Microsoft Windows Update databases or automatical update service (Datastore.edb).
The file is located in the folder: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore. Exclude the Datastore.edb file.
- Files of the transaction logs in the directory %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs. Exclude the following files:
- Res*.jrs (in Windows Vista, the file has the name Edbres*****.jrs)
- Res*.log (in Windows Vista, the file has the name Edbres*****.log)
- Add the following Windows security files located in the folder %windir%\Security\Database to the list of exclusions:
The symbol "*" in the Res*.jrs and Res*.log files means that there may be a number of such files.
Do not exclude .dit files from the scan. Some of the files with this extension may not be safe.
Files of user's group policies that can be found in %allusersprofile%:NTUser.pol
Configuration files of group policies that can be found in %Systemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy\: registry.pol
You can find detailed instructions on how to add files to the list of exclusions in the following articles:
Adjust the settings of your Kaspersky application
You can increase the performance of your computer by adjusting the settings of the Kaspersky application. See the articles below: