About updating databases and application modules
October 3, 2023
The installation package of the application includes databases and application modules. Using these databases:
- The application detects the majority of threats using Kaspersky Security Network, which requires an Internet connection.
- The application detects adware, auto dialers, and other legitimate software that can be used by intruders to damage your computer or personal data.
To get full protection, we recommend updating the anti-virus databases and application modules as soon as the application has been installed.
Databases and application modules are updated in stages:
- The application starts updating databases and application modules according to the specified settings: automatically, on schedule, or on demand. The application contacts an update source that stores an anti-virus databases and application modules update package. To complete the installation of the update package for application modules, the computer must be restarted.
- The application compares the existing databases with the databases available at the update source. If the databases are different, the application downloads the missing parts of the databases.
The application then uses the updated databases and application modules to scan the computer for viruses and other threats.
You can use the following update sources:
- Kaspersky update servers
- HTTP or FTP server
- Network folder
Special considerations involved in updating anti-virus databases and application modules
Updates of anti-virus databases and application modules are subject to the following restrictions and specifics:
- Anti-virus databases are considered out of date after one day and extremely out of date after seven days.
- To download an update package from Kaspersky servers, an Internet connection is required.
- Updates of anti-virus databases and application modules are unavailable in the following cases:
- The subscription has expired, and the grace period or limited functionality mode is not available.
- A metered mobile Internet connection is used. This limitation applies on computers running under Microsoft Windows 8 or more recent versions of this operating system if automatic updates or scheduled updates are enabled and a traffic limit has been set for a metered mobile connection. If you want the application to update anti-virus databases and application modules in this case, clear the Limit traffic on metered connections check box in Settings → Security settings → Advanced settings → Network settings.
- The application is used under subscription from a service provider, and you have suspended your subscription on the website of the service provider.
Installing an update package
When an update package (patch) is received, the application installs it automatically. To complete the installation of an update package, you must restart the computer. Until the computer is restarted, the application icon in the notification area is red, and the application Notification Center window displays a prompt to restart the computer.