Backup tools and recovery media for Windows computers
1. Backup your data
Backing up your data is highly recommended, especially for important and sensitive data. You will need another media (e.g. CD, DVD, external hard drive, USB drive, etc) in order to backup your data.
If you have a Kaspersky Lab product installed, click a link that refers to your product for additional information on creating backup copies of your files:
- Kaspersky Total Security
- Kaspersky PURE 3.0
- Kaspersky Small Office Security
If you have another Kaspersky Lab product, or your product is not installed/not functioning, below is information provided by Microsoft on how to back up your data. Click a link that refers to your operating system:
2. Recovery, Repair, and Factory Recovery Media
Repair and Recovery Media
Creating this will allow several options for repairing the Windows operating system such as System Restore or Startup Repair without needing to reinstall the operating system. It is recommended to always have one of these available should any issues arise with the operating system.
- Creating a USB recovery drive in Windows 10 (a Microsoft article)
- Creating a USB recovery drive in Windows 8/8.1 (a Microsoft article)
- Creating a system repair disc in Windows 7 (a Microsoft article)
- Windows XP/Vista users: contact the PC manufacturer if you do not have the operating system installation CD.
Factory Recovery Media
This type of media was introduced in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 computers. The manufacturer typically ships the computer with a built-in application that allows you to recover the operating system by reinstalling it. Please contact your PC manufacturer for more details.