Configuring notifications of vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi networks
October 3, 2023
If Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection is not installed on your computer, Kaspersky application displays a notification about connecting to Wi-Fi networks and insecure transmission of your password over the Internet. You can allow or block connection and password transmission in the notification window.
After you have installed Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection, the settings for the display of notifications when connecting to Wi-Fi networks and transmitting an unencrypted password become inactive. You can configure the notification settings for Wi-Fi network connections in Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection.
To configure notifications of vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi networks:
- Open the main application window.
- Click in the lower part of the main window.
This opens the Settings window.
- Select the Security settings section.
- Select the Firewall component.
The window displays the settings of the Firewall component.
- Select the Notify of vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi networks if you want to receive notifications when you are connecting to vulnerable Wi-Fi networks. If you do not want to receive notifications, clear the check box. This check box can be accessed if Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection is not installed on the computer.
- Click the Select categories link and select Wi-Fi network vulnerability categories. When you attempt to connect to a Wi-Fi network with the relevant vulnerability, Kaspersky application notifies you about it.
- If the Notify of vulnerabilities in Wi-Fi networks check box is selected, you can edit the advanced settings for display of notifications:
- Select the Block and warn about insecure transmission of passwords over the Internet check box to block all transmission of passwords in non-encrypted text format when you fill in the Password fields on the Internet.
- By clicking the link Enable, restore the default values of settings for display of notifications about transfers of passwords in non-encrypted form. If you have previously blocked display of notifications about password transfer in non-encrypted form, display of these notifications will resume.
When connecting to protected Wi-Fi networks, the application displays a notification, which asks you if you trust the new network. You can choose one of the following options:
- No, block external access to computer. All external connections of this network are blocked except connections initiated from your device. You can use the Internet and visit all websites. Other users on this network will not be able to connect to resources of your computer (for example, they will not gain access to the contents of your disks, including shared folders).
- Restrict, but allow shared access. You can use the Internet and visit all websites. Other users on this network will not be granted access to resources of your computer, but they will have access to resources designated as shared (for example, shared folders).
- Yes, allow all network activity. All connections on this network will be allowed. You can use the Internet and visit all websites. Other users on this network will be able to connect to your computer without limitations (for example, they will be able to gain access to the contents of your disks).
If the Smart Home Monitor functionality is turned off, notifications about previously detected vulnerabilities of the Wi-Fi network remain in the user interface of the product. You can hide these notifications. To delete the notifications, you must disconnect from the current Wi-Fi network or do the following:
- Resolve previously detected vulnerabilities.
- Turn on the Smart Home Monitor functionality.
- Scan the Wi-Fi network for vulnerabilities.