Assigning protection profiles to virtual infrastructure objects
December 13, 2023
To assign a protection profile to a virtual machine or to another VMware virtual infrastructure object:
- In the properties of the policy whose scope includes the relevant virtual machines or other VMware virtual infrastructure objects, select the Protected infrastructure subsection.
- If you are configuring a policy for one VMware vCenter Server, make sure that the Use virtual infrastructure tree option is selected in the drop-down list located in the upper part of the window. This value is selected by default.
- Select one or multiple objects of the virtual infrastructure in the table.
If you want to assign the same protection profile to multiple virtual machines that are child objects of a single virtual infrastructure object, select this object in the table. You can simultaneously select multiple virtual machines or other virtual infrastructure objects in the table by holding down the CTRL key.
- Click the Select protection profile button.
The Selecting protection profile window opens.
- Select one of the following options:
- Inherit parent protection profile: <name>. Select this option if you want to assign the protection profile of the parent object to a virtual machine or other virtual infrastructure object.
- Use protection profile. Select this option and indicate the protection profile name in the drop-down list to assign this protection profile to a virtual machine or other virtual infrastructure object. The list contains the main protection profile and all additional protection profiles that you configured in this policy.
- If the selected virtual infrastructure object has child objects, the protection profile is assigned to the object and to all of its child objects, including objects that have been assigned their own protection profile or that have been excluded from protection. If you want to assign the protection profile only to the selected virtual infrastructure object and to its child objects that have not been assigned their own protection profile and that have not been excluded from protection, clear the Apply to all child objects check box.
- Click OK.
The Selecting protection profile window will close, and the assigned protection profile will be displayed in the table in the Protected infrastructure subsection.
- In the Properties: <Policy name> window, click OK.