Setting up two-step verification by using an authenticator app
Oct 23, 2023
Authenticator apps cannot be used in Kaspersky Security Center Cloud Console as a standalone verification method. You must first set up two-step verification by SMS. If you disable two-step verification via your mobile phone number, verification via an authenticator app is turned off automatically. After you have set up both verification via SMS and via an app, you will be able to select a verification method on the sign-in page or if you forget your password.
To set up two-step verification by an authenticator app:
- Set up two-step verification by SMS.
- Download, install, and run the authenticator app that you want to use.
We have tested only Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator for compatibility with Kaspersky Security Center Cloud Console, and these applications were free to use at that time. The interfaces of these applications may be unavailable in your preferred language. Please also check the GDPR compliance and privacy policies of the applications before using them. Kaspersky is in no way sponsored, endorsed by, or otherwise affiliated with any of the owners of these applications.
Microsoft Authenticator can be installed on mobile devices only.
If you want, you can use other apps at your own risk. The app that you use must support 6-digit security codes.
We also recommend that you install an authenticator app on a device other than your mobile phone. This will allow you to sign in to your account if your mobile phone is ever lost or stolen.
- In Kaspersky Security Center Cloud Console, click the link containing your account name, and then select Manage user account.
The User account settings window opens.
- Select the Two-step verification section.
- Click the Get secret key button.
- Under Enter your current password, specify the password of your account in Kaspersky Security Center Cloud Console, and then click the Continue button.
The portal page displays a 16-character secret key and a QR code.
- In the authenticator app on each device, create an account and enter the displayed secret key. As an alternative, you can scan the QR code with your mobile phone. In this case, the account will be created automatically. Please refer to your app's documentation for more information.
A 6-digit security code is generated in your authenticator apps.
- Verify that the security codes generated in your apps are the same on each device.
- In Kaspersky Security Center Cloud Console, enter the generated security code.
Two-step verification by an authenticator app is set up. Now, every time you sign in with your email address and password, or if you forget your password, you will need to enter a one-time security code that is generated in your authenticator app.